Saba is an island in the Caribbean and a special municipality (public entity) of The Netherlands. The island is known for its beautiful scenery and diving. Mount Scenery, at 887 meters high, is the highest point in the Dutch Kingdom. Saba, including Green Island, became a special municipality after the dissolution of the Netherlands Antilles on October 10, 2010. The island is five-square miles and has approximately 1900 inhabitants. There are four main villages: The Bottom (the capital), Windwardside, St. John's, and Hell's Gate. This Island Government is looking for a: Youth & Family Social Worker
The Island Government of Saba is known for its stability. It aims to maintain good relations with the Netherlands while striving to achieve widespread and sustainable results in various domains. Within the organization, people work together on the further development of the island. Our colleagues work on infrastructure (airport, harbor, water management), public works, planning, solid waste collection and processing, tourism, community development, health care, agriculture, HRM, ICT, finance, communication, civil affairs, legal advice, and various policy areas. In total, there are about 180 employees.
You will work at the Department of Community Development. The Department of Community Development addresses various social issues in Saba. This department is working intensively with the other departments and partners on the island towards a more integrated approach to social development aiming to bring the social care on Saba to a higher level. The Youth & Family Social Worker will be part of a team of social workers, project leaders, policy advisors, and other support staff. As Youth & Family Social Worker, you will provide support individually and collaborate with stakeholders to enhance the wellbeing and changes for the future of the youth on Saba.
Your main tasks will include:
• Providing the first interventions for young/adolescent clients through individual and family-based support;
• Understanding the different needs of a child, having an understanding of social youth problems such as substance use, sexual behavior, bullying, neglect, etcetera
• Advocating for both youth and family to receive the necessary services aimed at providing a higher quality of life;
• Conducting case management, case assessment, case meetings, report filing, and home visits Community assistance
• Collaborating with stakeholders in establishing an integral multi-disciplinary approach in the youth domain to enhance the chances for the future for Saban adolescents and young adults;
• Implementing working methods and procedures catered to increasing the level of youth assistance by the different departments;
• Creating community-based preventative supports for the betterment and wellbeing of children and adolescents;
• Generating opportunities for the active integration of youths within the community while creating platforms for the youth to express themselves;
• Working closely with team members and stakeholders for the betterment of social care, domestic violence awareness, and child abuse reduction;
• Supporting and collaborating with colleagues and stakeholders in addressing Child Abuse and Child Protection on Saba As a person, you are:
• Socially engaged and involved with the current situation of, Saba. You are actively motivated to make a difference;
• Independent and resourceful, demonstrating strong communication skills;
• Honest and transparent as possible and with compassion in a small community such as Saba;
• Able to effectively prioritize and organize your work;
• Approachable, flexible, have a listening ear, proactive, and consistent.
• Able to build a network within a short time and maintain these relations to strengthen collaboration between partners;
• Stable and able to stand your groundin difficult situations where a viable solution is not always available;
• A team player focused on establishing professional connections and being cooperative.
You can commit to our organization for an extended period and are willing to establish yourself on the island.
• Bachelor's degree or higher education degree, preferably in Social Work or Child Psychology;
• At least 1-year experience in the field of Social Work and/or Youth & Family Care;
• Trained in parenting support and education through programs such as the Triple P method and Signs and Safety;
• Knowledge of and experience with child and family-centered practices in early childhood education and care services;
• Sound knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation related to child social care;
• Excellent command of English, both spoken and written; knowledge of Dutch and Spanish is a plus;
• An affinity
We offer a 36-hour workweek and a two-year employment contract with the possibility of extension. The salary is according to government salary and depending on the skills and competencies of the ideal candidate, scale 10: start 2956 USD to end 4218 USD, and excellent primary and secondary work benefits
Send your letter of application and CV in English (if desired, also in Dutch) to HRM by August 12th.