Sagicor Bank Jamaica Limited is seeking to identify a suitable candidate to join our Credit Risk team in the capacity of Vice President Credit Risk.
The selected candidate will report to the Chief Executive Officer of SBJ, with a dotted reporting line to the Board Credit Committee, the position is responsible for; development of the credit risk framework, strategies, and policies that ensure the risk profile of the credit portfolio is aligned with regulatory requirements, strategic objectives, policy guidelines and the risk appetite of the Bank as established by the Board
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enhancing the Client Experience; Takes personal responsibility to enhance change management by ensuring how we approach change is reflective of a client-first attitude.
- Coaches team members on using sound discovery techniques to hone in on alternatives or options in deal structures that are tailored, and value added to the client; Represents the bank with team members, clients and professionals demonstrating leadership.
- Maintain Risk Profile; Ensures team and field personnel become fully versed in credit policy, credit processes and risk appetite, through direction and initiatives focused on business and retail markets.
- Adjudicates credit and performs post loan reviews as per established rules and guidelines, risk appetite and strategy and ensure credit transactions are adjudicated, insofar as is possible, within Policy, Standards and Procedures.
- Ensures accurate and consistent processes and controls are in place to facilitate consistency in credit assessment and Borrower Risk Rating (BRR) determination, including minimizing loss and maximizing recovery on problem loans, fraud prevention and AML compliance; Actively participates in Watch List reviews coaching to assist with timely engagement of Business Special Loans challenged desk to ensure strategy is established within 30 days of file transfer to the Asset Recovery and Collections Unit.
- Ensures the Collection center is efficient and effective in managing retail delinquent and non-productive files.
- Ensures the Credit Quality Team efficiently and effectively reviews credit assessment and portfolio management practices, documents findings and provides constructive recommendations for improvement to senior management.
- Ensures Privacy and AML issues are identified and mandated to ensure adherence to bank compliance policies and procedures; cultivate compliance culture by ensuring it’s acknowledged, recognized and rewarded and action is taken to curb non-compliance.
- Team Effectiveness; Leads and applies consistent, effective performance management practices with all direct reports; clearly communicating what is expected of them and how their performance is measured, in particular with respect to client experience, and maintaining a strong risk profile.
- Regularly assesses performance with candid, constructive feedback, recognizing & celebrating successes based on fact and
- addressing poor performance as needed. Ensures each team member is undertaking personal development activities to enhance skills and capabilities.
- Embraces change and instils a clear sense of purpose, urgency and bias for action and leads team members to successfully adopt change and continuously renew and improve; Leverages the full value of the team, department, and enterprise to develop better solutions, achieve a team mindset, develop consistency, and provide learning experiences and developmental opportunities for team members.
- Alignment With The Business; Acts as a catalyst to ensure team is strategically aligned with business strategies while maintaining the Bank’s desired risk profile; Demonstrates leadership and commitment to build, expand, leverage good working relationships with senior management and field officers to promote a mindset that risk is everybody’s business, that early problem identification is critical to maintaining the risk profile and in maximizing retention opportunities.
- Demonstrates leadership and commitment to provide transactional coaching, mentoring and one on one training to help develop partners’ skills; Demonstrates leadership and commitment to provide options and alternative structures reflecting what can be done rather than what can’t.
- Demonstrates leadership and commitment to participate in client and potential client visits.
- Optimize Efficiency; Coaches the team to develop strategies and leverage SBJ resources to minimize overall costs in the following areas: Loss of clients; loss of principal &/or interest; time spent on problem accounts managed at field level; time spent in resolving problem accounts with Asset Recoveries & Collections Unit; fees paid to 3rd parties; damage to SBJ’s image and reputation; and legal action against bank.
- Maintains average turnaround times in accordance with established Service Level Agreements.
- Manages Team Complement and controllable expenses to plan within a framework of continuous productivity/efficiency improvement and technology optimization.
- Oversees the process of ensuring legal/professional relationships and outsourcing opportunities are appropriately exploited, managed and monitored.
- Prior to the hiring of an external consultant, ensures due diligence is exercised in assessing what additional information or value is to be derived that might not otherwise be available internally, appropriate mandate parameters are considered, and that established procedures are followed as per Delegated Authorities.
- Collaborates and designs/delivers training programs, from time to time performs other related duties from time to time.
Academic Qualifications/Specialized Skills/Competencies:
- Master of Science degree in Business Administration/Corporate Finance/Economics or equivalent qualification from a recognized tertiary institution.
- Minimum of eight (8) years overall banking experience including five (5) years at a senior manager level and to include at least seven (7) years job-related experience in a credit environment.
- Comprehensive and thorough knowledge of credit, policies and procedures, with specific emphasis on Retail /SME/Corporate & Commercial Lending.
- Solid banking experience with emphasis on Credit Administration from origination and including problem loan management and collateral securities maintenance and custody.
- Thorough knowledge of the Bank's operating policies and procedures and management information systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the local laws relating to Banking Services and associated regulatory requirements.
- Comprehensive knowledge of legal and accounting practices that impact lending.
- Knowledge of financial and economic trends in the local, regional and international markets.
- Training in Financial Analysis and Credit Evaluation.
- Strong skills in financial analysis, decision making and problem solving.
- Skills in interpretation, evaluation and strategic planning.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiating skills.
- Strong analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills - oral and written.
If this role is of interest to you kindly submit an application no later than October 31, 2020. While we appreciate all applications only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.