JOB PURPOSE / SUMMARY:
The Vice President is responsible for the overall delivery of corporate services throughout the University. He/she is fiscally responsible for budgeting and executing the University’s appropriations, and provides leadership in the development, implementation and evaluation of policies and procedures for all support functions, including finance, human resources, infrastructure, technology services, outreach and industry relations.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Institutes risk mitigation strategies to eliminate/minimize loss of university assets through acts of individuals or acts of God.
- Oversees the system of internal controls requirements relating related to the University’s operations and assets.
- Chairs and/or serves on a range of university committees, workgroups and teams, as part of the University’s governance mechanism.
- Ensures availability of supplies and services for the University in accordance with relevant guidelines and best practice.
- Oversees the development of annual and multi-year budget projections for assigned portfolios.
- Reviews annual expenditures to ensure alignment with approved allocations and the university’s strategic priorities.
- Oversees the financial reporting and other statutory requirements.
- Develops policies and the strategic framework (in collaboration with faculty and academic and corporate administrators) for informing all human resource functions and operations.
- Oversees the development and delivery of effective and responsive human resource and industrial relations services, in support of the university’s academic mission.
- Ensures compliance and adherence to all relevant legal requirements regarding contract administration, employment practice, security operations and environmental and occupational health and safety.
- Develops forecasts for short, medium and long term infrastructure needs in collaboration with faculty and academic and corporate administrators.
- Oversees the delivery of facilities planning, facilities management, infrastructure development and maintenance services in accordance with strategic priorities, and in accordance with best practice and service delivery benchmarks.
- Develops policies to facilitate the efficient management of the University’s physical assets.
- Establishes guidelines, frameworks and policies to facilitate campus environments which reinforce personal safety and security.
- Provides strategic oversight in the development of an organization-wide technology strategy which supports academic and research demands, and address the needs of core administrative functions.
- Ensures proactive responses to changes in available systems and processes, allowing the institution to derive maximum benefit from its investment in information and communication technologies.
- Establishes liaisons with national security services and private service providers to augment the University’s internal security arrangements, and to support criminal investigations and crime prevention activities.
- Oversees overarching strategies for stakeholder engagement, and for development and delivery of University programmes which provide social, recreational, cultural and out-of-classroom learning opportunities for targeted communities.
- Facilitates relationships with stakeholder networks, interest groups, community and non-governmental organizations, local and central government representatives to allow for the development and implementation of joint projects which benefit the university community and respective communities.
- Supervises, coaches and mentors subordinate staff and implements the University's performance management system accordingly.
- Other duties as delegated by the President;
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Professional certification in Accountancy or Finance, and ten (10) years’ experience in overseeing finance and budgets in large organizations.
- Master’s degree or higher in management.
- Professional certification in Project Management will be considered an asset.
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of progressively complex and relevant leadership experience in higher education or an organization of comparable complexity.
COMPETENCIES / TRAITS:
- Ability to lead an integrated system of corporate and administrative functions in a large organisation or institution.
- Ability to formulate and articulate sound policies and demonstrated ability to identify, consult on, and resolve a wide range of issues with a clear sense of institutional needs and priorities.
- Ability to think strategically and communicate effectively.
- Ability to build alliances and collaborative working relationships with a wide range of individuals in a diverse community.
- Innovative, visionary leader with a clear, focused commitment to ensuring a conducive environment that supports the University’s academic mission.
- Collegial, approachable, and accessible leadership style.
- Superior organisational skills and the ability to manage competing demands.
- Highly ethical, trustworthy, and credible leader who is respectful of diverse views and opinions.