The incumbent is required to manage the Litigation and Dispute Resolution portfolio to maintain the integrity of the Corporation, mitigate risk, minimise financial exposure and maintain the efficiency of the Corporation.
- Reports to the Divisional Manager, Legal.
- Works closely with Attorneys, Executive Management and other relevant stakeholders.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages litigation and contentious matters.
- Drafts and settles pleadings and correspondence.
- Appears before Court, Tribunals and other Dispute Adjudication bodies.
- Instructs external Counsel and manages the conduct of matters by external Attorneys-at-Law.
- Advises on legal issues relating to the administration, interpretation and adherence of laws, statutory requirements and obligations relative to the Corporation’s operations.
- Advises on industrial relations and employee grievance matters.
- Represents the Corporation in the collective bargaining process and forms part of the related negotiations team.
- Adjudicates matters at a pre-litigation/ dispute resolution stage and negotiates amicable settlement.
- Reviews correspondence, identifies risks and develops and implements measures to mitigate against negative impacts to the Corporation.
- Manages the preparation, filing and service of documents.
- Conducts research on various aspects of the law.
- Administers training to sensitise staff about the laws and regulations relevant to the Corporation’s operations to ensure compliance.
- Represents the Corporation and various operational committee meetings, court and meetings with stakeholders.
- Advises and guides department Managers in the execution of their duties.
- Forms part of the Tender Evaluations Team and negotiating team with external stakeholders on behalf of the Corporation for contracts.
- Assists with the preparation of monthly departmental reports, annual budgets and strategic business plans.
- Monitors and evaluates performance of subordinate staff through the enforcement of the Corporation’s Performance Management System, including conducting performance appraisals
- Provides coaching and mentoring to employees.
- Co-ordinates and reviews the work activities of subordinate employees.
- Prepares and submits reports in accordance with the Corporation’s requirements.
- Performs any other related duties and responsibilities consistent with the job title/position.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Law Degree. ? Legal Education Certificate (LEC).
- Admitted to practice Law in Trinidad and Tobago.
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience as an Attorney-at-Law with at least four (4) years’ supervisory experience.
- Experience as an Instruction Attorney-at-Law and/or Advocate Attorney-at-Law, practising in High Court of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Contract formation, preparation, review and drafting experience.
- Experience and working knowledge of the FIDIC Suite of Contracts will be an asset.
- Training in negotiation and mediation will be an asset.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Comprehensive knowledge of landlord/tenant and real property law.
- Comprehensive knowledge civil procedures and practices.
- Working knowledge of legislation, procedures and practices relevant to the operations of the Corporation.
- Strong drafting skills (detail-oriented, proofreading and grammatical accuracy).
- Ability to apply technical aspects of the Law to practical business scenarios.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and information gathering skills.
- Business Administration – knowledge of how to develop strategies, organise, plan and allocate resources, control procedures and evaluate outcome.
- Ability to be self-motivated, results-oriented, persistent, committed, and can cope well in stress related environments.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and interpersonal).
- Ability to take initiative.
- Competence in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project).
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
Deadline for receipt of all applications is: April 20, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.