The incumbent is required to manage the activities of the Conveyancing Unit of the Legal Division to stimulate the continued efficiency and effectiveness of the Corporation.
- Reports to the Divisional Manager, Legal.
- Works closely with Attorneys, Executive Management and other relevant stakeholders.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drafts, reviews and certifies conveyances, leases, mortgages, deeds of release, contracts and other legal documents.
- Manages operational activities of the Conveyancing Unit.
- Manages, coordinates and oversees the conveyancing team of the Corporation.
- Conducts research and provides legal advice and opinions on property law matters.
- Reads cadastral maps, surveys and plans.
- Represents the Corporation and various operational committee meetings, court and meetings with stakeholders.
- Reviews correspondence, identifies risks and develops and implements measures to mitigate against negative impacts to the Corporation.
- Forms part of the Tender Evaluations Team and negotiating team with external stakeholders on behalf of the Corporation for contracts.
- Prepares monthly conveyancing report and assists with the preparation of Division reports, annual budgets and strategic business plans.
- Advises and guides Department Managers in execution of their duties.
- Administers training to sensitise staff about the laws and regulations relevant to the Corporation’s operations to ensure compliance.
- Monitors and evaluates performance of subordinate staff through the enforcement of the Corporation’s Performance Management System, including conducting performance appraisals.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to employees.
- Performs any other related duties and responsibilities consistent with the job title/position.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Law Degree.
- Legal Education Certificate (LEC).
- Admitted to practice Law in Trinidad and Tobago.
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience as an Attorney-at-Law with conveyancing experience and at least four (4) years’ supervisory experience.
- Strong and varied experience in conveyancing.
- Contract formation, preparation, review and drafting experience.
- Experience in litigation will be an asset.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Comprehensive knowledge of landlord/tenant laws and real property law.
- Working knowledge civil procedures and practices.
- Working knowledge of legislation, procedures and practices relevant to the operations of the Corporation.
- Detail-oriented, including proofreading and grammatical accuracy.
- Business Administration – knowledge of how to manage all or part of an organisation by developing strategies, planning, allocating resources (human, financial, material, intellectual), controlling procedures and evaluating outcome.
- Organised, self-motivated, results-oriented, persistent and committed, able to cope well in stress related environments.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and interpersonal).
- Professional with autonomy, proactivity, empathy and high service orientation.
- Good analytical, problem solving and information gathering skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Competence in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project)
Deadline for receipt of all applications is: April 20, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.