The Pharmacy Assistant reports to the senior Pharmacist assigned to the facility.
NATURE & SCOPE
The Pharmacy Assistant is responsible for providing support to the Pharmacists as well as other classifications of Pharmacy staff, to collectively provide a high quality of service and health care to both the internal and external clientele inclusive of but not limited to physicians, nurses and patients.
The Pharmacy Assistant would be required to:
- Assists in the preparation and compounding of both Aseptic and Non-sterile extemporaneous formulation.
- Screens, verifies, processes and prepares proprietary/bulk stock/ward stock/medication orders and requests.
- Receives and stores stock and check for expiry dates of all pharmaceutical items.
- Assists in entering prescription orders into the information system (electronic or paper-based).
- Prepares documentation for recordkeeping (physical and electronic) as well as other inventory management related documentation inclusive of and not limited to dangerous drugs, antibiotics, controlled drugs and general prescription books.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of ward medication carts and deliver same.
- Co-ordinates with Pharmacists and others in the preparation of up-to-date drug availability lists for various authorized clients including and not limited to medical practitioners, as well as other pharmacy related inventory related correspondence.
- Assists in the pre-packaging of therapeutic and non-therapeutic items, including solids, liquids, injectibles, ointments and creams.
- Performs related work as required by the appropriate Authority.
KEY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of Pharmaceutical support fundamental, principles and practices.
- Sound knowledge of the Policies and Legal Regulatory Framework of the institution.
- Strong communicative and interpersonal skills.
- Sound comprehensive, analytical and calculative ability.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and clients
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite
- Inventory management skills
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Certificate in Pharmacy Assistant from College of Science, Technology and Applied Arts of Trinidad and Tobago (COSTAATT) or another recognized University.
- Five (5) CXC/GCE O’Level passes inclusive of Mathematics and English A
- At least one (1) year experience in a pharmacy setting.
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience.
COMMUNICATION AND WORKING RELATIONSHIP
- Pharmacist I, II or III
- Clinical staff
- Nursing staff
- Members of the Pharmacy Department
- All other staff members
- General Public
- Pharmaceutical suppliers
- Pharmacy Board
- Other Regional Health Authorities
Deadline for submission of applications: May 18, 2021.