The incumbent will be responsible for validating all mathematical and econometric models used in the formulation of forecasts relating to key macroeconomic indicators, ensuring that all models are strongly grounded in economic theory. The Manager, Quantitative Research will also be responsible for guiding relevant business units using data-driven quantitative research and recommend new strategies based on findings. The position will also serve as a technical specialist in relation to econometric modelling and applied quantitative techniques. The incumbent will be accountable for coordinating the administrative operations of the Economic Research Unit and will also be responsible for providing support to the Group’s brand through presentations to external stakeholders including clients, media and the general public.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates the Group’s publications and reports for internal and external distribution by authoring research reports and reviewing content to ensure accuracy of theoretical underpinnings and technical accuracy as well as. ensures all internal reporting deadlines are met, including (but not limited to) Board Reports, Committee reports and other internal reporting requirements.
- Manages the process of developing and maintaining all econometric models, financial programming and other models used within the Group to ensure relevance and precision. Applies quantitative analysis techniques and economic theory to analyze economic relationships and applies them to real-world applications relevant to the First Citizens Group.
- Provides guidance to relevant Business Units using data-driven quantitative research methodologies and recommend new strategies that are based on findings as well as serves as a technical specialist and advisor to other departments/ units and to senior management concerning econometric modelling designs and development.
- Supports the development of and maintains expertise in relevant subject areas and methods (including varied quantitative and qualitative research methods, policy and practice development) to ensure external credibility and achieve desired influence. Supports research and data analysis by performing system analysis and developing/ recommending suitable computer applications/ software as well as manages databases that are used in conjunction with all working models to ensure they are frequently updated and valid, ensuring that model outputs are correct.
- Maintains technical and professional competence by participating and making presentations in domestic, regional and international conferences and forums.
- Represents the Group in economic matters by giving presentations at seminars, conducting interviews with media, and other marketing forums to help develop the brand of regional Economic Research experts.
- Contributes to the decisions of internal committees within the First Citizens Group, by supplying sound economic research, forecasts and opinions on matters affecting strategy, which will assist in efficient and quick decision making by the committees based on market research received.
- Reviews and recommends policy-oriented research, action-oriented research and/ or development projects to assist in raising the profile of the Frist Citizens Group as a market intelligence and research innovation leader.
- Manages the workflow of the department by delegating duties to direct reports based on assessment of skills and developmental areas. Develops, trains and motivates direct reports to achieve high quality outputs. Performs regularly performance appraisals and engage in coaching with all direct reports.
- Performs all other duties, assignments and special projects as assigned by the Head, Economic Research Unit
Qualifications and Experience
- Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in a Business related field/ Economics/ Finance or Statistics from a reputable University or other professional qualification from a recognized professional body eg. CFA, CIMA, ACCA and five (5) years practical experience in quantitative research, at least two (2) of which must be at a Managerial Level OR
- Executive Diploma\Diploma and seven (7) years practical experience in quantitative research, at least five (5) of which must be at a Managerial Level OR
- GMDP Certificate and ten (10) years practical experience in quantitative research, at least seven (7) of which must be at a Managerial Level
- CFA Certification will be an asset
- Advanced proficiency in database, spreadsheet and word processing applications.
- Advanced knowledge of a range of quantitative and statistical research methods and processes, and ability to apply to real world economic relationships.
- Strong ability to communicate complex concepts and results accessibly to a broad audience
- Ability to deliver professional, high quality presentations to client seminars and workshops.
- Highly motivated with strong problem solving and interpersonal skills to be able to manage a team
Applications are to be submitted on or before March 23, 2023.