Sagicor Group Jamaica Limited is looking for a suitable candidate to join our Group Legal, Trust & Corporate Services team in the capacity of: Manager - Legal Services (Grade 4)
To assume responsibility for providing a full range of legal services (including advisory, document review and vetting, guidance and directions) to subsidiaries, divisions, units and branches assigned from time to time following appropriate consideration of the relevant legal, regulatory and business issues (including directing and undertaking specialized research). To provide corporate secretarial services for companies within the Sagicor Group (as assistant company secretary where required). Generally, to support the Head of the Group Legal Trust & Corporate Services in the management of legal and regulatory risk for the Sagicor Group.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal services to the Group and its subsidiaries.
- Conduct assessment of legal issues, identify and recommend strategies or processes to address the issues
- Assist in the development of new products on terms and conditions and ensure alignment with applicable laws and regulations
- Prepare and/or review contracts and undertake commercial transactions
- Negotiate contracts on behalf of the company.
- Provide claims and litigation management support to the Group in circumstances of pending litigation and claims and recommend steps or actions to address these
- Submit monthly reports to the Board in respect of claims/suits in which the company is involved
- Research and advise on complex legal issues in the areas of commercial insurance and Income tax laws
- Attend Court where necessary on behalf of the company in criminal and civil suits.
- Perform all other related duties assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Experience, Specialized Skills and Competencies:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized tertiary institution
- Certificate of Legal Education
- Admission to practice at the Jamaican Bar
- A minimum of (5) years working in a similar capacity or related areas.
- Specialized courses or job training/expertise in Banking and Commercial Law; Business Administration; Securities Law; Insurance Law; Corporate Finance; Real Property Law and Dispute Resolution/Management, and continuing education to keep abreast of new developments.
- Attorney-At-Law qualified to practice in Jamaica with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in the related field.
- Experience in the relevant areas of law and a working knowledge of banking/financial services systems and procedures and relevant technology applications.
If this role is of interest to you, kindly submit an application no later than April 30, 2020. While we appreciate all applications, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.