GK General Insurance Company seeks to identify an individual looking for an excellent opportunity to progress his/her career; and who possesses the vision and energy to help drive dynamic changes in the company, in the following capacity: Legal Officer
Reporting to the Senior Legal Officer GK General Insurance Company Limited the incumbent will be expected to:
- Manage the company’s claim recovery portfolio, in particular, subrogation claims and non-contentious litigation matters.
- Initiate legal proceedings on behalf of the company against third parties in relation to subrogation claims in respect of the insured’s losses and company’s outlay paid under the policy.
- Prepare all necessary legal documents for the policy holders that may be required for the prosecution and or defence of the matter.
- Prepare for and conduct trials and advise on pleadings and other court filings for a range of legal claims to be brought by or against the company in respect of the recovery matters and non-contentious matters.
- Negotiate the settlement of claims, assessing the legal implications of any step(s) to be taken, considering the economic viability of the particular course of action and proceed and/or give advice accordingly.
- Review case files and make recommendation in relation to the acceptance or denial of liability and indemnity, and action accordingly.
- Review case files and make assessments in relation to the quantum of offers for settlement, with keen attention to company’s image, litigation and claims costs as it relates to settlement of claims.
- Ensure there is adequate reserves by reviewing settlement offers and update stated reserves accordingly to meet the demands.
- Represent the company, as assigned, at all Mediation, Case Management Conferences, Pre-Trial Review and Trial and take any such steps as may be necessary to bring about the resolution of the matter, while protecting the company’s interests.
- Provide recommendations about potential legal problems or the impact of regulatory or legislative changes to direct the department’s legal practices.
- Liaise with third party attorneys in relation to the settlement of their respective clients’ claims and or claims filed against their clients.
- Liaise with and provide instructions to external attorneys in respect to legal matters assigned to them for handling on the company’s behalf.
- Follow-up with, respond to queries and assist claimants, providers and customers as it relates to problems or questions regarding their claim and or policies.
- Track and report on legal matters being handled to ensure and maintain efficiency within the Unit.
- Provide support to the Senior Legal Counsel in effectively and efficiently managing activities and functions within the Unit.
- Recommend changes to existing claims practices to garner greater efficiency from the Unit.
- Ensure that proper control for litigation management is in place.
- Provide technical support or consultation and advice to the claims team.
- Ensure files are accurately maintained; file notes are placed in a timely manner for the effective management of the claim from initiation through to settlement.
- Provide recommendations to the Personal Lines Team, where necessary, on the risks written, based on the processing of claims received to assist the Department in prudent risk management.
- Support the manager’s expense control efforts for the Unit.
- Perform other duties and activities that may be assigned from time to time.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor of Laws Degree
- Legal Education Certificate
- At least five (5) years’ experience as a practising Attorney in civil litigation as a trial lawyer
- Experience in the general insurance environment as legal counsel or an insurance law firm
- Effectively manage the demands of a heavy caseload without the need for supervision
- Excellent legal research and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent presentation and advocacy skills
- Good strategic and Problem-Solving skills
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills
- Strong customer relations skills
- Claims Management
- Negotiation (Advanced Level)
Posted 09/01/2023 | Application Deadline: not provided | Unposting: 30/01/2023 | Disclaimer: The unposting date is indicative from which no rights can be derived.|