The Tobago Regional Health Authority (TRHA) is responsible for the provision of healthcare throughout Tobago. Key Services are offered at the Scarborough General Hospital, Tobago Emergency Medical Services (TEMS) and Primary Care Health Centres.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified professionals seeking opportunities in an environment that promotes safety, quality and equal employment opportunities. Candidates who are experienced in working in a healthcare environment that is undergoing rapid and multifaceted changes toward health service accreditation are especially encouraged to apply.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the General Manager Operations provides strategic leadership and direction to a number of functional departments and units, namely Food Services, Projects & Planning, Electrical Engineering Services, Engineering Services, Environmental Services, Support Services / Mechanical Engineering, Central Sterilization Services, Security, Laundry and Linen.
The incumbent oversees the operations portfolio as noted above, establishing and maintaining service quality standards, mitigating or where not possible, minimizing risk exposure, building staff and organizational capacity and coaching, mentoring and managing direct and indirect staff, providing performance feedback and discipline. He / She is also responsible for the development, review and execution, where required, of the TRHA’s Disaster Plan including Fire and Evaluation Plans for the Hospital and Health Centres.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides strategic leadership and direction to the following departments within the Tobago Regional Health Authority (TRHA):
- Food Services
- Projects & Planning
- Electrical Engineering Services
- Engineering Services
- Environmental Services
- Mechanical Engineering
- Central Sterilization Services
- Security Services
- Laundry and Linen.
- Provides inputs to the TRHA’s strategic plan, identifying long and short-term strategies for the TRHA’s growth and development and anticipating strategic opportunities to support the TRHA’s vision.
- Ensures the availability, reliability and functional effectiveness of plant, equipment and facilities required for effective hospital operations.
- Works collaboratively with the Medical Chief of Staff and the General Manager, Primary Care Services to plan and execute support programmes and services at the Hospital and in the Community.
- Leads the development, review and execution, where required, of the TRHA’s Disaster Preparedness Plan including Fire and Evaluation Plans for the Hospital and Health Centres. In this role, the incumbent will work collaboratively with the Medical Chief of Staff, the General Manager, Primary Care Services, their staff and representatives of TEMA and other related agencies.
- Ensures all areas within the operations portfolio comply with all statutory and regulatory requirements, including but not limited to those relative to Town and Country Planning, Public Health, the Fire Department, Occupational Safety and Infection Prevention and Control.
- Plans, develops and oversees the implementation of programmes and services within the operations portfolio that support the direct care givers in the effective and cost-efficient delivery of patient care.
- Ensures the integration of operations priorities, strategies and work plans across all TRHA’s facilities.
- Establishes in conjunction with each direct report, minimum service quality standards for each Department/Work Unit.
- Works collaboratively with the Quality Department to establish mechanisms to monitor the quality of service for each Department/Work Unit.
- Gauges stakeholder service satisfaction levels, anticipating needs and issues and taking steps to proactively address issues that have the potential to negatively impact the TRHA’s ability to provide quality care and service to patients and their families.
- Assesses risk and ensuring that measures are in place to mitigate and/or minimize risk to the TRHA.
- Provides input into the development of TRHA’s policy and procedure manuals and ensuring all areas within the operations portfolio comply with approved policies and procedures.
- Determines, in conjunction with the Senior Management team, strategies to resolve complex and sensitive issues arising from operational crises and/or implementation of programme changes.
- Works collaboratively with the Purchasing and Stores Departments, implementing effective inventory management systems that ensures all supplies ordered and received by Departments/Work Units within the Operations are used solely for TRHA business.
- Participates as a member of the Tenders Committee of the Board of Directors, contributing collaboratively to the success of the Committee’s Annual Work Plan.
- Monitors the portfolio’s outcomes and performance, ensuring appropriate employee, financial, equipment and inventory resource allocations are in place.
- Evaluates the performance of subordinates, formulating and monitoring the agreed upon action plans for the development of these staff.
- Represents the Chief Executive Officer at internal and/or external meetings / functions as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline from a recognized tertiary institution.
- Masters Degree in Engineering or Business Administration.
- A minimum of fifteen years’ progressive experience in the relevant Engineering discipline, eight (8) of which should be at a supervisory level and five (5) at a senior management / leadership level.
- Competence in Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Project, Inventory and Planned Preventative Maintenance software.
- Experience in developing, leading and monitoring successful complex projects that involved the various construction trades as well as clinical and technical health care staff.
- Experience in the public service / state enterprises sector will be an asset.
- Any equivalent combination of qualifications and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Superior analytical and problem solving abilities to analyze and interpret complicated, highly technical information and utilize the knowledge to develop, present and implement a detailed work plan to address complex issues.
- A compelling track record of success as a senior executive in a complex organization with superb communication, adaptive leadership skills and a strong propensity for action.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints, including the ability to detect anomalies.
- Knowledge of the principles and methodologies of project management.
- Knowledge of procurement rules practices governing Trinidad and Tobago.
- Knowledge of the Public Procurement and Disposal of Property Act.
- Any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills and abilities.
Please clearly indicate the position for which you are applying either in the subject line of your email or on the envelope.
All external certification must have Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT) certification.
We thank you for your interest in Tobago Regional Health Authority but unsuitable applications will not be acknowledged.
Apply by July 10th, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.