CONSULTING SERVICES DESCRIPTION:
- Environmental, Social, Health and Safety (ESHS) Project Specialist, For Housing Rehabilitation – Sint Maarten
- This consulting position reports to the relevant in-country Project Lead with general direction from the Director of Programs and Partnerships - Caribbean.
Build Change is an international non-profit social enterprise founded in 2004 with the mission of greatly reducing deaths, injuries and economic losses caused by housing and school collapse in earthquakes and hurricanes in challenging post-disaster and vulnerable environments. Our team of dedicated staff designs disaster-resistant buildings, trains people to build them, facilitates access to capital for safe reconstruction and retrofitting and works with governments to enforce building standards and develop systems that promote development and progressively reduce disaster risk.
ACTIVITIES TASKS DESCRIPTION
The ESHS Project Specialist shall work with the relevant Project Lead and Director of Programs and Partnerships – Caribbean. This position will initially support one project that involves supervision of post-disaster housing reconstruction in Sint Maarten. Build Change previously performed evaluations and developed the construction documents for this work, which is to be performed by a qualified general contractor. The work included structural rehabilitation (masonry & RC walls, light frame roofs, etc.), and associated architectural work (interior and exterior details, doors/windows, waterproofing details/materials/methods, fixtures & finishes, electrical, plumbing).
Build Change will be providing project management and technical supervision activities during the work for the client. The project is expected to run for approximately ten months, and the position consists of two on-site deployments, plus some remote consulting and support.
- Review the project Environmental, Social, Health and Safety (ESHS) documentation, submitted by the contractor, and provide guidance and expert advice.
- Review and assist in developing project specific ESHS procedures, checklists and training materials that will be used by the contractor to provide the ESHS services, including procedures for operating in the current COVID pandemic environment.
- Liaise with other ESHS parties in the project, contractor, client and World Bank.
- Be comfortable reviewing observed health & safety deficiencies and required remedial actions with the contractor in the field.
- Prepare monthly reports and contribute to internal and external project reporting.
- Depending on deployment schedule to Sint Maarten, a portion of this work may be performed remotely, with regularly scheduled video conference calls for reviews of work-in process.
- Deploy to Sint Maarten twice during the 10-month contract duration, once at the beginning of the project (2 months), and an additional visit (1 month) three months later.
- While deployed in Sint Maarten:
- Build Change provides required logistics - transportation, shared accommodation, food per diem.
- Attend weekly and as-required project meetings, record minutes and tasks/follow-ups.
- Provide remote consulting services when not deployed, during the contract period. We anticipate these will average 8 hours per month over an assumed 8-10-month period, to respond to questions, site conditions, photos, review documents, adjust procedures, etc.
Skills and Qualifications:
- University degree with a minimum 5-years professional experience in Environmental Health and Safety related areas. Work experience in construction and field inspection is required.
- Computer literacy. Experience using Office tools.
- Superior organizational skills, problem solving skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English required. Proficiency in other regional languages such as Dutch, French, or Spanish would be a plus.
Industry: Environmental Health and Safety/International Development/Building Design and Construction
Function: Technical, Health and Safety for Construction
Job Location: Flexible with two 1-3 month trips to Sint Maarten
Start Date: Immediate
Term: Part-time over a 10-month time frame
Salary: Competitive, consultant agreement
Application deadline July 15, 2020