Under the direction of the Deputy Director General, the Director, Censuses, Demographic, and Social Statistics is responsible for the production of Demographic, Social and Environment Statistics. The incumbent also coordinates the planning, preparation and implementation of all censuses undertaken by the Institute, with specific responsibility for providing the required subject matter expertise and technical guidance.
Qualifications & Experience Required
STATIN – CORE COMPETENCIES
STATIN – MANAGERIAL COMPETENCIES
FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES [Job]
Professional Statistical Knowledge Extensive Knowledge of:
Summary of Duties
1. Plans and directs the development and implementation of the statistical work programme of the Censuses, Demographic and Social Statistics Division.
2. Provides technical guidance and supervision to the professional and support staff in execution of the Division’s work programme.
3. Directs the production of Demographic, Social and Environment Statistics and its related activities through the collection of secondary data from administrative sources and from primary data collected through censuses and specialized Demographic, Social and Environmental Surveys.
4. Compiles vital statistics such as births, deaths, marriages and divorces; current population estimates; other demographic indicators; migration statistics and environment statistics.
5. Coordinates the planning and implementation of all censuses undertaken by the Institute, including the Population and Housing Census and the Census of Agriculture in collaboration with relevant local, regional and international agencies.
6. Collaborates with other Divisional Directors and multidisciplinary technical committees to provide subject matter expertise and technical guidance in census design and methodology including, budget formulation; data collection; the development of the data processing system for census data; dissemination of census results and census evaluation.
7. Ensures that all existing databases are updated with new census data required to provide a basis for survey sample design and survey weighting.
8. Ensures that statistical standards, methods, concepts, classifications and definitions applied to the production of Demographic, Social and Environment Statistics meet national requirements and are in compliance with international standards for official statistics.
9. Directs quality assurance procedures including the systematic documentation of statistical processes, methodologies and procedures used to produce Demographic, Social and Environment Statistics.
10. Monitors and reviews the format and content of all technical reports/publications produced in the Division to ensure that they meet defined objectives and standards of technical quality.
11. Consults with key data users and stakeholders to determine the extent to which statistics produced by the Division continue to meet their evolving needs.
12. Directs where necessary and with approval, the redesign or expansion of the Division’s statistical programmes to meet user needs.
13. Liaises with internal and external data providers to ensure that the Division’s data collection requirements are met.
14. Keeps abreast of new and emerging policies and developments in the global statistical system and implements recommendations and guidelines related to the execution of national censuses and the production of Demographic, Social and Environment Statistics.
Applications should be submitted by Wednesday, August 5, 2020