The Southern Regional Health Authority (SRHA), a Statutory Body under the Ministry of Health & Wellness responsible for the management and operation of Public Health Services within the Parishes of Clarendon, Manchester and St. Elizabeth, invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the following position in the Regional Office: CONSULTANT PSYCHIATRIST (HPC/MO 4)
Under the general direction of the Regional Technical Director, the Regional Psychiatrist will be responsible for organizing, planning, coordinating and evaluating strategies and programmes for improving the delivery of Mental Health Services, curative, preventive and rehabilitative. This will be done in accordance with the government’s policies and regulations to ensure the appropriate balance in the delivery of health services.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Doctor of Medicine in Psychiatry or equivalent postgraduate qualification in Psychiatry
- Post graduate degree specializing in Public Health would be an asset
- Management experience and training plus
- A minimum of five (5) years post graduate experience
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
- Sound knowledge of the National Health Policy
- In-depth knowledge of the principles and methods of psychiatry
- Knowledge of current trends and techniques in the treatment and management of psychiatric illnesses
- Understanding of social issues and how these impact on mental health
- Sound knowledge of Public Health Laws and Regulations and the Mental Health Act
- Thorough knowledge of the Service Level Agreement
- Knowledge of management practices and procedures
- Ability to provide effective leadership and work as part of a team
- Research methodology and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Computer literacy
Key responsibilities will include:
- Consulting and collaborating with the Medical Officers of Health and Senior Medical Officers in ensuring the integration of services through an adequate, fully functional and responsive referral system.
- Providing technical programme input in the development of the five (5) year corporate plan; and the annual budget consistent with strategic objectives in keeping with regional needs and national and regional guidelines
- Maintaining liaisons with the Director, Mental Health and Substance Abuse to ensure that the delivery of mental health services in the region are consistent with government’s overall policy direction.
- Planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating the Regional Mental Health Programmes in consultation with Medical Officers of Health and other health personnel.
- Participating in the review and evaluation of legislation, regulations and standards pertaining to mental health services island wide.
- Providing specialist consultation to the major hospitals and health centers.
- Coordinating the regional emergency mental health services in collaboration with the Region and Ministry of Health Emergency Management Team/Unit.
Salary range $3,430,940 – $4,078,309 per annum and any applicable allowances
Applications along with resume should be sent no later than Friday, November 27, 2020