Suitably qualified persons are invited to submit applications to fill the following contract position: Chief Information Officer
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Division enables the service delivery capability of UTC, with emphasis on maintaining service level availability and for driving key IT strategic initiatives and priorities impacting UTC and its Investment Centres
Lead the ICT strategic direction of the UTC to ensure business strategic objectives are met, while directing the centralized and outsourced data centre resources in achieving the UTC’s solutions.
- Plan and Guide the strategic direction for the ICT Division.
- Participate in the planning and execution of the strategic goals/direction as a member of the Strategic Leadership Team.
- Lead the ICT strategic planning and budget preparation process by coordinating the planning efforts of the subordinate officers and key business units and consolidating their contributions for integration with the overall plan. Manage the operations and expense control throughout the financial year.
- Lead and implement technology related and operational innovation. Guide Division’s operations and ensure that they are in line with the UTC’s strategies
- Provide strategic and operational support to the Investment Centres, Divisions and Executive Management in determining approaches and solutions that best suit their business and operations drivers; both from the cost and function perspectives.
Direct effective delivery of ICT strategic initiatives and priorities to ensure service level availability is maintained for the centralized ICT services based on industry best practices.
- Ensure the effective and efficient delivery of ICT strategic initiatives and report to Executive Management and Board on the status of these initiatives.
- Direct all ICT projects within timeframe, and within the set requirements.
- Take responsibility for the UTC’s information assets to ensure service level availability is maintained and the effective delivery of IT strategic initiatives and priorities, ensuring they reflect the UTC’s core values by delivering quality service and front-line support to their clients.
- Liaise with senior and executive management and champion the resolution of all matters resulting in significant impact in the delivery of technology services, both internally and externally.
Direct the technology selection, implementation and rollout process for UTC to ensure ICT standards and information security objectives are adhered to.
- Sign off on all strategies and business cases, in conjunction with ITSC, ensuring they can be implemented in the respective environments, and are consistent with the business strategy for that delivery channel.
- Direct project management functions for initiatives, as required, and/or in support of potential Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Primary liaison relating to technology and business type issues and objectives. Deliver strategic initiatives to Management regarding technology related product and service enhancements.
- Expert change agent with exceptional inter-personal skills and demonstrated experience in driving transformation, fostering collaboration and resolving corporate conflicts.
Oversee and provide direction to the managers to ensure the promotion of the economic efficiency and operations effectiveness of the UTC’s network operations.
- Provide oversight to the unit head during the translation of regulatory requirements into operational routine within UTC.
- Provide direction in defining strategies to improve operational efficiencies in the various divisions of UTC.
- Provide the link between understanding and applying of International Best Practice in all areas of Operational Investments with the ability to drive efficiency and effectiveness through innovative improvement approaches.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to improve the division’s management and towards building high level influencing and interpersonal skills, in addition to developing a relationship building, negotiating, problem solving and metric driven mindset among subordinates.
Direct the provision of first- and second-line support to Management on all supported platforms as regards system related issues, ensuring that they are able to provide a high level of availability and customer service to customers and staff according to Service Level Agreements in place.
- Lead the ICT management team to ensure the provision of superior quality customer service to UTC.
- Develop and foster a customer-driven culture throughout the division, and across all departments, to ensure delivery of a high standard of customer service based on international best practice.
- Maintain a close working relationship with internal management, external vendors and other key stakeholders crucial to the running of a multi-platform processing environment.
Direct the Process Reengineering unit in defining strategies for Multiple business/function re-engineering programs that would deliver expense reductions while enhancing customer value and strengthening risk controls.
- Provide direction to ensure cost and price analysis principles and procedures and the coordination of planning, programming and budgeting process is completed for each process reviewed.
- Provide leadership to the division in conducting process redesign engagements that use lean to streamline processes by identifying and reducing low value-added activities
- Ensure end-to-end operating model reviews across key businesses and drives operational cost saving.
- Demonstrate thought leadership in creating presentations to the Board, Operating Committees, Management Committees and other Senior Leadership meetings.
Establish the performance goals, allocate resources, and assess policies. Direct and participate in acquisition and growth activities to support overall business objectives and plans
- Motivate and lead a high-performance management team; Mentor direct reports in cultivating skills and in increasing consciousness of the interrelationships among units within UTC.
- Remain knowledgeable regarding market and industry trends, competitors, and all aspects of UTC’s internal and external environments
Manage human resources necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the company
- Ensure that HR and Operational Policies are rolled out and executed.
- Ensure all security policies and procedures are strictly followed.
- Ensure that there is transparency and fairness in the process in accordance with local and regional laws and regulations.
- Ensure that there is Succession in the unit and adherence to the Policy.
- Provide expert advice to Management, regarding staff matters.
- Maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the Unit.
- Handle exception areas referred to from subordinates that require functional escalation.
- Participate in staff selection and recruitment and on the job training and development.
- Participate in the performance management process, provide frequent performance feedback.
- Develop leadership skills by coaching and mentoring staff
Manage the budget and accounts for variances for the efficient and professional operation of the Unit
- Provide guidelines and direct the development of an annual operational budget.
- Ensure the control of expenditure and efficient use of resources.
- Direct annual budget preparations and revisions to budgeted figures.
- Maintain the month end financial reporting including Profit and Loss, Reconciliations and Variance Analysis.
- Implement appropriate cost controls measures to ensure compliance to budgeted figures
Manage and maintain good relationships with all stakeholders and ensure the maintenance of service level agreements and the achievement of the best pricing models.
Implement appropriate cost controls measures to ensure compliance to budgeted figures.
- Build and maintain a positive working relationship with the Board of Directors, direct reports, peers, other UTC employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Engage in negotiations with clients, vendors and users to maintain service level agreements and achieve best possible pricing models.
- Represent UTC externally and act as an Interface between Board and Staff
Perform all other duties, assignments and special projects as assigned by the Board of Directors and Executive Management relative to the Function.
- Counsel and mentor employees as required.
- Direct and Participate in BCP.
- Prepare Executive Management reports, balance scorecard reports, etc.
- Respond to the Board of Directors on critical Information Technology or operational matters relative to the function.
- Present at Board Meetings, Committee Meetings, Conferences etc.
The selected candidate must possess the following combination of qualifications, skills, training and experience:
- A Master's Degree from an accredited tertiary institution.
- Any combination of professional qualifications at the First Degree and postgraduate level from an accredited tertiary institution.
- A track record as a senior leader for at least ten (10) consecutive years
- Experience at a senior level within a financial institution will be an asset
- Recognised in the industry as a strong professional brand based on leadership, technical competence and people skills.
- Demonstrated achievements as a strategic business leader
- High confidentially and integrity
- Excellent visionary and leadership skills
- Excellent people mastery skills with the ability to coach and mentor
- Ability to interact at all levels
- Ability to influence to achieve positive outcomes and results
- Ability to build and sustain high performing teams
- Prudent and inspiring leadership
- Excellent business acumen
- Strategic and critical thinker
All applications should be submitted no later than January 31, 2021