The incumbent is required protect the interests of the Corporation, reduce risk exposure and support the achievement targets set for the Corporation through the provision of legal advice.
- Reports to the Divisional Manager, Legal.
- Works closely with Attorneys, Executive Management and other relevant stakeholders.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises on legal issues relating to the administration, interpretation and adherence of laws, statutory requirements and obligations relative to the Corporation’s operations.
- Drafts and Reviews commercial contracts to ensure correct commercial engagement of suppliers.
- Maintains database to capture laws and regulations to efficiently provide clarification and guidance on the Corporation’s non-construction business operations.
- Adjudicates matters at a pre-litigation/ dispute resolution stage and negotiates amicable settlement.
- Administers training to sensitise staff about the laws and regulations relevant to the Corporation’s operations to ensure compliance.
- Conducts research on various aspects of the law.
- Represents the Corporation and various operational committee meetings, court and meetings with stakeholders.
- Advises and guides department Managers in execution of their duties.
- Forms part of the Tender Evaluations Team and negotiating team with external stakeholders on behalf of the Corporation for contracts.
- Assists with the preparation of reports.
- Assists with monitoring and evaluating performance of subordinate staff through the enforcement of the Corporation’s Performance Management System, including conducting performance appraisals.
- Co-ordinates and reviewing the work activities of subordinate employees.
- Performs any other related duties and responsibilities consistent with the job title/position.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Law Degree.
- Legal Education Certificate (LEC).
- Admitted to practice Law in Trinidad and Tobago.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience as an Attorney-at-Law with litigation and dispute resolution experience and at least two (2) years’ supervisory experience.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution experience.
- Contract formation, preparation, review and drafting experience.
- Experience and working knowledge of the FIDIC Suite of Contracts will be an asset.
- Training in negotiation and mediation will be an asset.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Comprehensive knowledge of landlord/tenant and real property law.
- Working knowledge civil procedures and practices.
- Working knowledge of legislation, procedures and practices relevant to the operations of the Corporation.
- Strong drafting skills (detail-oriented, proofreading and grammatical accuracy).
- Ability to apply technical aspects of the Law to practical business scenarios.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and information gathering skills.
- Organised, self-motivated, results-oriented, persistent and committed, able to cope well in stress related environments.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and interpersonal).
- Professional with autonomy, proactivity, empathy and high service orientation.
- Competence in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project).
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
Deadline for receipt of all applications is: April 20, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.