JOB PURPOSE / SUMMARY:
To provide leadership and coordination of the Finance and Accounting functions of the University, and in particular to serve in the role of Financial Comptroller.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Formulates financial policies as required and participates in financial planning for the University, in alignment with the University’s strategic plan and objectives.
- Develops annual budgets for the University, inclusive of the review and revision of all departmental budget submissions.
- Ensures the submission of financial reports to the Board, Board Committees, President, Executive and other external agencies including Ministries.
- Ensures the preparation of monthly management accounts for submission to the Executive team, front line users and/or budget holders.
- Ensures that there is a reliable system of internal controls in place to adequately safeguard the assets of the University.
- Ensures integrity and accuracy in the reporting of financial results.
- Conducts continuous assessments on internal controls with appropriate adjustments.
- Ensures that there are reliable systems in place for accounting and reporting on Donated Funds (Restricted and Unrestricted), Endowment Funds, Research Projects (UTT funded and/or Sponsored/Corporate Donors) and Managed Projects (Clients’ Funds).
- Ensures compliance with finance-related statutory obligations - submission of reports and payments, viz: taxes, national insurance etc.
- Ensures that the institution’s annual accounts are audited on a timely basis.
- Ensures that auditors’ requirements (both internal and external) are me.
- Undertakes special assignments/projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ensures that insurance premiums of all UTT’s assets are paid and up to date.
- Supervises, coaches and mentors subordinate staff and implements the University's performance management system accordingly.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Professional Accounting Qualification such as ACCA, CA or equivalent.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Finance, Accounting or related field will be an asset.
- Minimum ten (10) years managerial experience at a senior level.
- Membership in a relevant professional body.
COMPETENCIES / TRAITS:
- Demonstrated ability in management of financial planning and systems, financial reporting, budgets, risk mitigation and audit.
- Experience in the effective management of the financial systems and procedures of universities.
- Ability to examine and re-engineer operations and procedures, formulate policy and implement new strategies and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work. effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and advise on the application of relevant legislation and standard international practices impacting on assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to analyse problems and develop creative solutions within the existing regulatory framework.
- Strong leadership, strategic thinking, decision making and problem solving skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.