To provide operational supervision and functional direction to instructors and support staff and facilitates the Department’s teaching, research and service objectives.
- Participates in the compilation and development of curricula;
- Prepares and delivers lectures to students within prescribed curriculum;
- Compiles methodological materials and teaching aids for subjects (groups of subjects);
- Supervises students’ research papers;
- Reviews students’ research papers, master’s and doctoral dissertations as an evaluator and participates on defense boards;
- Participates in the training process of a new generation of researchers in the area of expertise;
- Submits grant applications to support the University’s goals in consultation with Programme Head or other Academic Staff and the University’s office responsible for grant funding;
- Engages in peer review activities as required;
- Leads academic research projects/ programmes;
- Participates in research conferences and seminars;
- Participates in the Personal Tutor programme (or acts as a personal tutor and, where required.)
- Develops and maintains relationships with other universities, research institutions and companies;
- Provides relevant service to the University and national community.
- Submits reports about teaching activities, publications and research;
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- An earned PhD or EdD in Special Needs Education or in a relevant field from an accredited and recognised University/Professional Institution
- A minimum of 1 year teaching experience at University Level or 2 years’ research/industry experience, at least 1 of which should be at a minimum middle management level and a minimum of thirty-two (32) scholarly output points, of which at least sixteen (16) should be from refereed scholarly journals or other relevant outputs appropriate to the candidate’s academic discipline
- A Master’s degree qualification in Special Needs Education or in a relevant field from an accredited and recognised University/Professional Institution with a minimum of 5 years’ teaching/research/industry experience
- A minimum of 100 scholarly output points of which at least 60 points should be from refereed scholarly journals or other relevant outputs appropriate to the candidate’s academic discipline.
- Demonstrated theoretical and professional knowledge of the discipline.
- Demonstrated competence with course content.
- Sound knowledge and demonstrated application of pedagogy
- Knowledge of Research Methodologies
- Understanding and use of statistics
Basic Profession Skill Set
- Basic content expertise
- Research skills
- Basic practice / Critical Analytical skills