The General Manager, Patient Care Services provides strategic leadership and direction to a number of functional departments attuned to the delivery of quality patient care services. The incumbent will be responsible and accountable for planning, establishing and implementing approved goals and policies; thereby creating an environment in which collaboration is valued and excellence in clinical care, education, and research is promoted and achieved. This must be done in compliance with institutional, regulatory and governmental requirements.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides strategic leadership and direction to the following departments at Tobago Regional Health Authority (TRHA) which are attuned to the delivery of quality patient care services:
- Secondary Care Nursing Services
- Primary Care Nursing Services
- Medical Imaging Department
- Medical Records
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Dietetic Services Department
- Physiotherapy Services Department
- Occupational Therapy
- Social Work Department
- Mental Health Department
- Works collaboratively with the respective head of department to develops and implement strategies and annual work plans for areas under his / her jurisdiction.
- Liaises with government, public and private sector organizations and agencies to facilitate achievement of institutional goals and objectives.
- Prepares operational, informational, statistical and management reports and studies on hospital operations as required.
- Oversees the development and implementation of programs and policies for patient services, quality assurance, public relations and department activities.
- Provides input to the Authority’s strategic plan, identifying long and short-term strategies for the Authority’s growth and development and anticipating strategic opportunities to support the organisation’s vision.
- Works collaboratively with the Executive Management Team in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of clinical programs and services, assuring appropriate resources for the delivery of care.
- Enhance the quality of care available to the patients, by consistently evaluating performance and benchmarking such performance against international standards
- Analyses statistical and abstracted information on the delivery of quality of care received by the patient from entry to discharge, and develop programmes to improve the quality and effectiveness of the treatment modalities used.
- Integrates and coordinates the activities of the different levels of service providers on policy matters to optimize the use of available resources.
- Prepares budget recommendations for staffing, supplies and/or equipment that is required to maintain quality patient care.
- Assesses the training and development needs of staff.
- Monitors and evaluates staff performance.
- Assesses risk and ensures that measures are in place to mitigate and/or minimize risk to the TRHA.
- Analyses trends affecting the organization and advises and/or implements remedial strategies.
- Ensures the establishment of systems for continuous quality management throughout the Authority.
- Represents the interest and position of the Authority, as required, in meetings with government officials, other RHAs and community organizations.
- Responds promptly and diplomatically to contentious and sensitive queries that potentially impact the Patient Care Services.
- Establishes and implements mechanisms for maximizing the involvement of the Community, Voluntary and Non-governmental organizations in the formulation and implementation of plans for the delivery of quality healthcare.
- Adheres to Accreditation Standards, Public Health, Infection Control, Occupational Health and Safety, Ministry of Health, Department of Health Wellness and Family Development and TRHA protocols, guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- B.Sc. qualification and practicing certificate (as applicable) in Allied Health, Scientific or Technical profession from a recognized tertiary institution.
- Membership of the relevant professional body.
- Master’s degree in the primary profession / health administration or management from a recognized tertiary institution.
- A minimum of fifteen years’ progressive experience in the relevant discipline, eight (8) of which should be at a supervisory level and five (5) at a senior management / leadership level.
- Proven experience in a management role (e.g. head of department and/or division) within a healthcare environment; experience as an executive professional leader in the health sector preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of qualifications and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of current trends, principles and practices, methods and techniques in health services administration and patient care management.
- Strategic planning and policy development skills.
- Knowledge and familiarity of other allied health professions across a range of different settings.
- Knowledge of current issues in healthcare management.
- Knowledge of current healthcare regulations and legislation.
- Knowledge of quality improvement strategies and standard setting systems
- Superior analytical and problem solving abilities to analyze and interpret complicated, highly technical information and utilize the knowledge to develop, present and implement a detailed work plan to address complex issue.
- Ability to maintain a level of sensitivity and flexibility for the diverse needs and perspectives of others.
- Ability to work with others and establish relationships through trust, feedback and demonstrating mutual respect.
- Ability to work in partnership with other senior health professionals.
- Any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills and abilities.
Please clearly indicate the position for which you are applying either in the subject line of your email or on the envelope.
All external certification must have Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT) certification.
We thank you for your interest in Tobago Regional Health Authority but unsuitable applications will not be acknowledged.
Apply by July 10th, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.